Zapekanka is a Russian breakfast recipe. Children and their parents love this baked cottage cheese treat for taste, texture and nutritional goodness. Delicious and rich in proteins, this tvorog treat is a great start of a day, or can be a perfect brunch snack. The recipe is quite straightforward – cottage cheese (tvorog) mixed with eggs and some sugar and baked in oven. You can add sluiced fruits or berries into Zapekanka. Usually Zapekanka is served cold.
By February 15, 2014Published:
[ezcol_1third] [/ezcol_1third][ezcol_2third_end]Zapekanka is a Russian breakfast recipe. Children and their parents love this …
- 500 gr tvorog (cottage cheese or Danon's Huttenkase)
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- vanilla sugar
- 3 tablespoons smetana (or plain yoghurt/creme fresh)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons semolina
- butter to grease the baking forms
- Pour milk over 3 tablespoons of semolina and let soak for at least 20 minutes. In a separated bowl, pour warm boiled water over raisins and also let soak
- Mix 1 egg and sugar.
- To tvorog add salt, semolina, eggs and sugar mix, vanilla sugar, smetana (or plain yoghurt/cream fresh).
- Grease the baking forms(s) with butter, sprinkle (dry) semolina or breadcrumbs and put the tvorog mixture.
- Mix an egg yolk with smetana and brush it over the surface of the mixture.
- Bake in preheated to 180 oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Cool down (till cold). Slice and serve with smetana, berries, jam etc.