Scrumptious chocolaty Leningradskiy cake is a rectangular cake consisting of 4-5 shortbread cakes soaked in chocolate butter cream “Charlotte” and jam, filled with chocolate icing on top. The sides of the cake are sprinkled with biscuit and nut crumbs. The top is decorated with patterns or inscriptions in white and brown cream. Served after cooling.
The cake got its name after the city of Leningrad, that was the name of St.Petersburg during the USSR time.
Lenigradskiy cake was very popular in the Soviet Union, it was considered the confectionery hallmark of Leningrad.
Leningradsky cake was created during the Soviet era by Victoria Lvovna Tatarskaya,the technologist of the cafe-shop “Nord” (since 1951 “Sever”) in Leningrad on Nevsky Prospekt, 44.
Leningradskiy cake Recipe
By April 22, 2021Published:
[caption id="attachment_14164" align="alignleft" width="150"] Scrumptious and delicious[/caption] Scrumptious chocolaty …
- 550 gr wheat flour (19.5 oz)
- 230 gr sugar (8 oz)
- 550 gr butter (19.5 oz)
- 108 gr egg (2 eggs)
- 5 gr vanilla extract 0.18 oz
- 5 gr (or 2.5 gr) baking powder (read the measures on your sachet) baking powder (0.18 iz or 0.09 oz)
- 360 gr condensed milk (12.7 oz)
- 60 gr powdered sugar (2.10 oz)
- 200 gr smetana (sour creame, creme fraiche) 20% (7 oz)
- 110 gr apricot jam (4oz)
- 50 gr walnuts (1.8 oz)
- Mix 350 gr (12.3 oz) of butter, all sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add eggs, beat with mixer.
- Sieve the flour, add baking powder, quickly mix the batter. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Divide the dough into 4 parts. Roll with the rolling pin, cut a circle out using the plate for the shape. When working with 1 piece, keep the rest in the fridge. Repeat for all pieces of dough.
- Bake for 8 minutes, t 200 c (390 F) cakes and leftovers, one by one.
- Make the cream: beat up 200 gr (7 oz) of butter and condensed milk, sugar powder and 22 gr (0.8 oz) cocoa with a mixer.
- Collect the cake: spread jam and cream over each layer of the cake. Spread only jam over the last layer.
- Icing: mix 200 gr (7 oz) smetana, 45 go (1.6 oz) cocoa, 50 gr (1.7 oz) of sugar, place in a pot over lowest heat and boil until thick, constantly stirring.
- Cover all the cake with the icing. Sprinkle the remaining crumbles from the cakes and crushed nuts on the side of the cake.
- Refrigerate for several hours for soaking.