Medovik cake recipe
This scrumptious Russian honey cake Medovik is a dream! Sweet honey flavored layers with refreshing smetana frosting, what a great combination. The cake with layers may strike as something that only chefs can tackle, but this is not true. This Medovdik (Russian «мёд» (myod) -honey) recipe is quite straightforward and fun to make.
Medovik cake recipe Recipe
By April 12, 2014Published:
[ezcol_1third] [/ezcol_1third] [ezcol_2third_end]This scrumptious Russian honey cake Medovik is a dream! Sweet honey flavored …
- 2 eggs
- 100 grams butter
- 150 grams sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 glasses smetana (or Greek yoghurt)
- 1 glass caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 2 glasses flour
- Lay baking paper in a baking tray. Set the oven temperature for 200 C.
- Melt the honey and butter over low heat in a pan.
- Mix butter and honey with sugar and baking powder. Add eggs, one by one, keeping on mixing. Bring the mixture to boil for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Mix in the flour.
- Divide the batter into about 5 even pieces. Roll them into a cirle, using a plate to trim. Roll up over the rolling pin and place over the tray .
- Bake each layers (200 c) until golden crust - about 4-5 minutes each. Cool them down. Bake the trimmings and finely chop them .
- Make the frosting:
- Mix well smetana with sugar and vanilla sugar. The sugar should completely incorporate.
Generously spread the cream over each layer, put them on top of each other, slightly pressing.
Spread the cream all over the cake and powder with chopped trimmings.
- Put the cake into the fridge and let it stand for a few hours or over night for the layers to absorb the frosting and soften. Be confident, It is well worth the wait!