Shashlik barbecue recipe
Shashlik can be cooked with any meat, but it should be marinated in advance. There are literally millions of the marinade recipes, and the main ingredient is usually some kind of a softener -it can be vinegar, or kefir (plain yogurt) or onion rings, some would say fizzy mineral water is great. Most popular element in marinating the meat is finely sliced onions – releasing the juicе it softens the meat and enriches its flavour. The meat marinated in advance is brought to the meeting point in a pot and then the magic of the cooking happens.
Fresh air helps build up an appetite and so does the delicious smoke, so the expectations are high on the cook. If it the meat comes out great than its a success with a capital S. Plenty of fresh vegetables and ice cold beverages will crown the meal.
We are going to upload a few recipes of shashlik marinade, starting with beef. You’re welcome to add your questions and suggestions or tips in comments!
Beef shashlik – Marinade 1.
Rib eye cuts of beef: 500 gr (because it is tender and juicy, and fat is great for grilling)
Marinade (for 500 gr/18 ounces of meat):
- 3 onions
- Coarse Salt- 1 pinch
- Black pepper – 1 pinch
- Coriander – 2 pinches
- Provence herbs – a small amount for aroma
- Some flakes of crushed dry chili peppers
(we are not going for the spiciness but for the flavour)
- Finely slice the onion, bring to a pot and squeeze with your hands to release extra juice (you may want to use swimming goggles for tear free chopping 🙂 )
- Wash the meat, cut into chunks, dry up with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle all the herbs/spices/salt over the cuts of meat and put the meat into the pot with onion rings. Mix well and leave to marinade for about 2 hours or more.
- Prior to grilling, make sure the meat has the room temperature, so if you had the pot in the fridge take it out in advance.
- Prepare the coal. Once it’s coated with ashes skewer the meat onto the skewers (shampurs) discarding onions and grill, rotating the skewers and watching that the coats don’t catch fire.
- You can also sprinkle some herbs over the coals – rosemary etc. – for extra flavour of the smoke.
- Don’t overgrill the meat – slightly press the meat, if it’s not too soft it should be ready.
- Serve over a lot of salad and enjoy!
Chicken thighs shashlik
The main condition for making a delicious shahlik barbeque is soaking of chicken in the marinade for a long time. When being soaked, the meat acquires not only a delicate texture, but also unique shades of taste. The kefir marinade is especially good – it is easy to prepare and does not require a large number of components.
chicken thighs – 2 kg;
low-fat kefir – 1 l;
a bunch of cilantro – 1 pc.;
onions – 3 pcs.;
Garlic cloves- 6 pcs.;
ground pepper, salt – to taste.
- Wash chicken meat under running water, dry on paper towel.
- Peel the garlic, pass through a press or finely chop with a knife. Mix the resulting gruel with salt.
- Place the thighs in a container for marinating, rub each piece with a mixture of garlic and salt, pepper on both sides.
- Peel the onion, cut into thin half rings. Add to meat.
- Rinse greens under running water, dry and chop finely with a knife. Add into a container with other components.
- Pour kefir over the future shashlik so that the meat is completely covered with it. Mix.
- Place the container on the lower shelf of the refrigerator. Marinate for 1.5 to 9 hours, depending on how much time is available. The longer the meat stays in the liquid, the more tender it will turn out over the fire.
- String the prepared chicken on skewers (shampurs) or place on the barbecue grill. Roast over coals for 15-17 minutes, remembering to periodically turn over.