Delicious anglaise cream holding together fluffy and light sponge layers calls for a soothing cup of milky tea. This cake is very popular in Russia and it is sold in carton boxes in almost every food shop. But let’s spoil ourselves with a homemade version!
The making of the cake is divided into 3 sections: the cake, the cream, and the coating.
Charodeika cake Recipe
By August 10, 2014Published:
[ezcol_1third] [/ezcol_1third] [ezcol_2third_end] Charodeika is a comforting sponge cake with a layer of soft white cream and a …
- 5 eggs (4 for cake and 1 for cream)
- 1,7 cups sugar (1 cup for cake, 0,5 cup for cream, 7 table spoons for coating)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 0.2 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 cup + 6 tablespoon milk (for cream and coating)
- 100 gr butter (50 gr for cream and 50 gr for coating)
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180 C (355 F)
- Lay sheets of baking paper into a form (d=26 cm).
- Beat up 4 eggs with 1 cup of sugar. Mix in vanilla sugar, baking powder, 1 cup flour.
- Put the mixture into the baking form and bake for 30 min ( t=180 C). Cool down and slice into two layers.
- Mix well 1 egg, 2,5 tablespoons of flour, 0,5 cups of sugar.
- Separately heat up milk with vanilla seeds, avoid boiling.
- Slowly pour hot milk over the egg mixture, constantly mixing. In the same saucepan you used to heat up milk bring the mixture to low heat, constantly mixing until thickens.
- Switch off heat, add butter into hot mixture and beat well. Cool down.
- Cover the bottom layer of the cake with the cream and cover with the second layer.
- Mix 6-7 tbp sugar with 3 tbsp cocoa, add 6 tablespoons of milk, mix and bring to boil, stirring continuously.
- Take off the heat, mix in butter. While hot, cover the cake using a spatula and put the cake into fridge overnight.